Saturday 9 May 2020

Easter 5 -- You Know the Way






Please note this is in the format of the Anglican Church of Canada, the collect, prayer over the gifts, Lord’s prayer all come from the Book of Alternative Services other sources have been noted.  If an item is not sourced I am the author

Prayers found on line have been sourced

** this is for personal use as the church is unable to gather in our houses of worship but together we can worship in our own homes.



Sentence of the Day
I am the way, the truth, and the life, says the Lord; no one comes to the Father, but by me.
John 14.6

Hymn    Lord of all Hopefulness  #506 BCP 
Lord of all hopefulness, Lord of all joy,
whose trust, ever childlike, no cares could destroy,
be there at our waking and give us, we pray,
your bliss in our hearts, Lord, at the break of the day.

Lord of all eagerness, Lord of all faith,
whose strong hands were skilled, at the plane and the lathe,
be there at our labours and give us, we pray,
your strength in our hearts, Lord, at the noon of the day.

Lord of all kindliness, Lord of all grace,
your hands swift to welcome, your arm to embrace,
be there at our homing and give us, we pray,
your love in our hearts, Lord, at the eve of the day.

Lord of all gentleness, Lord of all calm,
whose voice is contentment, whose presence is balm,
be there at our sleeping and give us, we pray,
your peace in our hearts, Lord, at the end of the day.

Gathering
Be present with us Lord and show us the freedom that comes from you
Lord, there are so many paths, help us to find our way
We have been called out of  darkness into light
We sing the praises of the One that shows us the way

Loving God, you have created opportunity upon opportunity for us to follow you and be faithful and still we struggle.  We struggle to hear what you tell us, we struggle to understand the directions and we struggle with the hope that you offer and yet you call us to even greater works than even you were able to accomplish, so great is your faith in us.  Be present to us always, show us new ways and fill us with new hope for the work that you call us to be a part of, the building up of the kingdom so that all may know the freedom and hope that you offer.  


Listen for the word which God has spoken;
Speak, Lord, to our speaking,
Speak, Lord, to our listening,
Speak, Lord, to our souls’ deep understanding
As the scriptures are read, we allow God’s word to speak to us, and ponder its meaning in our lives.  Hear these words of Scripture:

A Reading from the Acts of the Apostles (7:55-60)
But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. "Look," he said, "I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!"  But they covered their ears, and with a loud shout all rushed together against him. Then they dragged him out of the city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."  Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he died.
Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church      R: Thanks be to God

Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
In you, O LORD, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me.
Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me.
You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead me and guide me, take me out of the net that is hidden for me, for you are my refuge.
Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.
My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.
Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love.

A Reading from the first letter of Peter (2:2-10)
Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation- if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God's sight, and like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in scripture: "See, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame." To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe, "The stone that the builders rejected has become the very head of the corner," and "A stone that makes them stumble, and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do. But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church      R: Thanks be to God

Hymn   I Was There To hear Your Borning Cry  - #770 With One Voice
"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child,
with a faith to suit you well;
In a blaze of light you wandered off
to find where demons dwell."

"When you heard the wonder of the Word
I was there to cheer you on;
You were raised to praise the living Lord,
to whom you now belong.
If you find someone to share your time
and you join your hearts as one,
I'll be there to make your verses rhyme
from dusk 'till rising sun."

In the middle ages of your life,
not too old, no longer young,
I'll be there to guide you through the night,
complete what I've begun.
When the evening gently closes in,
and you shut your weary eyes,
I'll be there as I have always been
with just one more surprise."

"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold."


The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to St. John (14:1-14)
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going." Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him." Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied."  Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?  Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.  Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.  I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.
The Gospel of Christ             R: Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ

Homily

Invitation to the Offering             (inspired by Psalm 23, 1 John 3)
The Shepherd cares for us, providing all that we need in abundance.
The Shepherd calls us to love one another in truth and action.
May our gifts reflect our trust in the Shepherd’s care.
May our offerings show our willingness to love one another.

** Although not physically at our church buildings to share our offering together I would encourage you to set you offering of money and food aside so that it can be mailed, dropped off or placed in the church once services resume** Please remember ministry is still taking place

Offering Hymn   Fashion for Me – Steve Bell

Fashion for me a desert of peace
A land that is empty of endless disease
With no one to suffer, hate or appease
With nothing to covet, desire or compete
But You alone

Grant to me Lord by Your sovereign hand
To wander forever in this boundless land
Where all of my yearnings, fears and demands
Are abandoned and lost to the great desert sands
Surrounding me


Fashion for me a desert of peace
Where Father, Son and Spirit meet
Together as one – together release me
Free from sin to enter in
To life forevermore

Fashion for us a city of love
Where the lamb and the lion together lie down
Where all of the wandering pilgrims are found
Rejoicing in song for the Saviour is crowned
As Lord and King

Grant to us Lord by your sovereign hand
A city of joy in the heart of the land
A home for the weary alien man
The fatherless children, the widow whose hands
Are tired and worn

Fashion for us a city of love
Where Father, Son and Spirit live
Together as one – together allow us
Free to take and celebrate
The life forever more

Prayer over the Gifts 
Gracious God, you show us your way and give us your divine life. May everything we do be directed by the knowledge of your truth. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the risen Lord.  Amen

Hear, O Israel 
Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, 
with all your mind, and with all your strength. 
This is the first and the great commandment. 
The second is like it: Love your neighbour as yourself. 
There is no commandment greater than these.

Intercessions and Thanksgivings          A Mother's Day Litany   

Like a mother eagle teaching her young to fly, You push us to stretch our wings and risk falling,
yet You do not abandon us but lift us up, protecting us from evil.
We thank You, mothering God.

Like a mother bear, furious when her cubs are in danger, You bring justice on those who oppress the young.
We thank You, mothering God.

Your Spirit comforts us as one whom a mother comforts.
We thank You, mothering God.

Holy Spirit, You are everywhere the Lord and Giver of life. We praise You for the gift of mothers through whom You give us life.
We thank You for their willingness to nurture life, for their trust in You to guide them
through the labor of childbirth, the uncertainties of youth, the letting go of young adulthood.

We thank You for all those women, who did not give us birth, but through whom You give us abundant life:
We thank You for school teachers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, pastors, elders, Sunday School teachers, supervisors, and friends who share wisdom.

We ask Your tender mercies on all those whose mothers now sing with the heavenly chorus, for those whose tears are not yet dry.
Grant them Your peace, which passes understanding.

We ask Your comforting presence on those mothers who have buried sons and daughters.
Grant them the grace to trust their loved ones to Your never-ending care.

We pray for those who are alienated from their mothers by harsh words, distance, misunderstanding. 
Grant them Your grace to forgive and to love again.

We pray for mothers whose children met a violent death. We especially remember the missing and murdered indigenous women and their families who seek answers, closure and justice.
Deliver them from anguish.

We pray for mothers who work but cannot earn enough to feed and clothe and educate their children.
Wake us to our responsibility for common welfare.

We pray for mothers who are dying of AIDS and other diseases for which we know no cure.
Raise up among us caregivers for their children and expand our compassion.

We pray for mothers who are guardians for grandchildren whose parents are unable or unwilling to care.
Grant them courage and strength and patience for the living of each day.

We pray for mothers whose children face limitations of intelligence, emotional, or physical ability.
Deliver them from hovering; grant them wisdom to encourage each child’s full potential with You.

We pray for mothers whose sons and daughters defend our way of life as firefighters, officers of the law, and in the military.
Grant them confidence in Your presence with their children in life, in death, in life beyond death.

And now with the bold confidence of beloved children, we pray as Jesus taught his friends to pray:
Our Father
—written by Trish Holland,
posted on The Presbyterian Outlook website.
Collect
Almighty God, your Son Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. Give us grace to love one another and walk in the way of his commandments, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.  Amen


Hymn   Now The Green Blade Rises - # 237 BCP
Now the green blade rises from the buried grain,
wheat that in dark earth many days has lain;
love lives again, that with the dead has been;
love is come again like wheat arising green.

In the grave they laid him, Love by hatred slain,
thinking that he would never wake again,
laid in the earth like grain that sleeps unseen
love is come again like wheat arising green.

Forth he came at Easter, like the risen grain,
he that for three days in the grave had lain;
raised from the dead, my living Lord is seen;
love is come again like wheat arising green.

When our hearts are wintry, grieving, or in pain,
your touch can call us back to life again,
fields of our hearts that dead and bare have been;
love is come again like wheat arising green.

Blessing
May the peace of  the Lord Jesus Christ go with us, where ever he may send us.
May he guide us through the wilderness, protect us through the storm.
May he bring us home rejoicing at the wonders he has shown us.
May he bring us home rejoicing once again into our doors.  Amen

The Dismissal
Let us bless the Lord
Thanks be to God. Alleluia

May the God of hope fill us with all joy and peace in believing through the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment