Wednesday 7 October 2020

Recalibrating


 



Disruptions, life is filled with them in the ordinary everyday times. Sometimes we notice because it has inconvenienced us and sometimes, we notice because it causes major upheaval. Disruptions, large or small, can have a major impact. How do you handle disruptions in life? Are you able to go with the flow? Does it throw you completely off track? Do you step back and re-evaluate?

I have to tell you I am severely directionally challenged. If you take me and set me downtown and spin me around, I’ll get lost! No Joke! Telling me to go north, south, east or west is pointless. I have no sense of direction. Just tell me if I go right or left. Disruptions happen very easily in my life. Some are simple others less so. It is what we do when the disruptions happen that become more interesting. I can tell you when we first moved to Winnipeg (the largest city that I have lived in) more than once I felt like crying when I would get lost. At least once a day I would experience great frustration and try to get going back in the right direction. And then I listened to what the GPS would say when I missed my turn – recalibrating. Recalibrating! Finding another way. Then I realized that I was never truly lost because it could all be recalibrated.

Disruptions are like that, they recalibrate us. They send us down different paths, change our direction, help us see things from a different perspective all because there was a disruption to the usual routine that we tried to stick so closely with. Again, I ask, that you consider how you handle those disruptions. Can you now see them from a different perspective, allow them to recalibrate you and give you a whole new experience?

2020 has thus far been months and months of disruption. Just as soon as we think we are getting on the right track of lower numbers and cases of CoVid 19, we have a spike and we are back in the restricted zone. Disruptions happen daily with how we interact with people, shop, plan a dinner out (or not), celebrate special days in life and holidays. We are re-calibrating how we do everything. Some roll with the necessary changes and recalibrate but for countless others the stress, anxiety and depression are increasing and recalibrating is hard to do because there does not seem to be a return to the more normal interactions that are so important to us for our emotional, mental, physical and spiritual well being.

Disruptions do not spell an end. Recalibrating does not mean we have missed the point or done something wrong. In these uncertain times we are challenged to find new ways of doing the things we enjoy. Nothing is canceled, nothing is lost but we are challenged to find a new route, a new direction and to take a different path. It will not be easy but it will be an experience, whether good or bad, that will reveal a whole new dimension to us and show us things and places and people that we have not encountered before. Disruptions are not always a bad thing, even in disruptions we can find a gift, new hope and a whole new way of doing things. I hope your disruptions will become an exciting opportunity to experience something new, or at least experience something old in a whole new way.



No comments:

Post a Comment