Saturday 25 April 2020

Easter 3 Morning Worship -- Emmaus Road



Please note this is in the format of the Anglican Church of Canada, the collect, prayer over the gifts, Lord’s prayer all come from the Book of Alternative Services other sources have been noted

Prayers and Hymns found on line have been sourced and/or linked

** this is for personal use as the church is unable to gather in our houses of worship but together we can worship in our own homes. Our hymn selections for today have been suggested by Rachel Cameron the music director of St. Paul's Anglican Church (Fort Garry Winnipeg)

Sentence of the Day:  
Lord Jesus, open to us the scriptures; make our hearts burn within us while you speak.
           Luke 24.32



Gathering                          (from Celebrations along the Way, Dorothy McRae-McMahon )
Journeying on the road, before we reach our home.
You find us and join us, O Christ
Within our anxious musings, between our sadder longings,
You find us, O Christ
There in the brokenness, there in the nearness of our heart space,
You find us and join us, Jesus Christ 
Let us worship our God

Rejoice, heavenly powers! Sing choirs of angels! Alleluia!
Christ our king is risen.  Alleluia!
Exult, all creation!  Rejoice, O earth, in shining splendour! Alleluia
Christ our king is risen.  Alleluia!
Christ has conquered!  Glory fills you!
Christ our king is risen.  Alleluia!
Darkness vanishes forever!  Christ dispels the darkness of our night!  Alleluia
Christ our king is risen.  Alleluia!

Hymn

Psalm 116
I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my supplications.
Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish.
Then I called on the name of the Lord: “O Lord, I pray, save my life!”
Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God is merciful.
The Lord protects the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me.
Return, O my soul, to your rest, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.
For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling.
I walk before the Lord in the land of the living.
I kept my faith, even when I said, “I am greatly afflicted”;
I said in my consternation, “Everyone is a liar.”
What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,
I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.
O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds.
I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice and call on the name of the Lord.
I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people,
in the courts of the house of the Lord, in your midst, O Jerusalem. Praise the Lord!

As the scriptures are read, we allow God’s word to speak to us, and ponder its meaning in our lives.  Hear these words of Scripture:

A Reading from the Acts of the Apostles (2:14-41)
But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them, “Men of Judea and all who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and listen to what I say. Indeed, these are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o’clock in the morning. No, this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel: ‘In the last days it will be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams. Even upon my slaves, both men and women, in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy. And I will show portents in the heaven above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and smoky mist. The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon to blood, before the coming of the Lord’s great and glorious day. Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’ “You that are Israelites, listen to what I have to say: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with deeds of power, wonders, and signs that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know— this man, handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law. But God raised him up, having freed him from death, because it was impossible for him to be held in its power. For David says concerning him, ‘I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand so that I will not be shaken; therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; moreover my flesh will live in hope. For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One experience corruption. You have made known to me the ways of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’ “Fellow Israelites, I may say to you confidently of our ancestor David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Since he was a prophet, he knew that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would put one of his descendants on his throne. Foreseeing this, David spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, saying, ‘He was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh experience corruption.’ This Jesus God raised up, and of that all of us are witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you both see and hear. For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”’ Therefore let the entire house of Israel know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified.”
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and to the other apostles, “Brothers, what should we do?” Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you, for your children, and for all who are far away, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to him.” And he testified with many other arguments and exhorted them, saying, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” So those who welcomed his message were baptized, and that day about three thousand persons were added.
Listen to the leading of the Spirit                             R: Thanks be to God

Canticle               (from Celtic Daily Prayer Book 1)
Christ, as a light illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield overshadow me.
Christ under me; Christ over me on my left and my right.
This day be within me and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all powerful.
Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks to unto me.
This day be within and without me,
Lowly and meek, yet all powerful.
Christ as a light; 
Christ as a shield;
Christ beside me on my left and my right.

A Reading from the first letter of Peter (1:17-23)
If you invoke as Father the one who judges all people impartially according to their deeds, live in reverent fear during the time of your exile. You know that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your ancestors, not with perishable things like silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without defect or blemish. He was destined before the foundation of the world, but was revealed at the end of the ages for your sake. Through him you have come to trust in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are set on God. Now that you have purified your souls by your obedience to the truth so that you have genuine mutual love, love one another deeply from the heart. You have been born anew, not of perishable but of imperishable seed, through the living and enduring word of God.
Listen to the leading of the Spirit                             R: Thanks be to God

Hymn

The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to St. Luke (24:13-49)
R: Glory to you Lord Jesus Christ
Now on that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and went with them, but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. And he said to them, “What are you discussing with each other while you walk along?” They stood still, looking sad. Then one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answered him, “Are you the only stranger in Jerusalem who does not know the things that have taken place there in these days?” He asked them, “What things?” They replied, “The things about Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, and how our chief priests and leaders handed him over to be condemned to death and crucified him. But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things took place. Moreover, some women of our group astounded us. They were at the tomb early this morning, and when they did not find his body there, they came back and told us that they had indeed seen a vision of angels who said that he was alive. Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said; but they did not see him.” Then he said to them, “Oh, how foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have declared! Was it not necessary that the Messiah should suffer these things and then enter into his glory?” Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them the things about himself in all the scriptures. As they came near the village to which they were going, he walked ahead as if he were going on. But they urged him strongly, saying, “Stay with us, because it is almost evening and the day is now nearly over.” So he went in to stay with them. When he was at the table with them, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight. They said to each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us?” That same hour they got up and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven and their companions gathered together. They were saying, “The Lord has risen indeed, and he has appeared to Simon!” Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread.
While they were talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” They were startled and terrified, and thought that they were seeing a ghost. He said to them, “Why are you frightened, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my feet; see that it is I myself. Touch me and see; for a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. While in their joy they were disbelieving and still wondering, he said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?” They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate in their presence. Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you—that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and he said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And see, I am sending upon you what my Father promised; so stay here in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”
The Gospel of Christ       R: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ

Homily

Affirmation of Faith        (from Celebrations Along the Way, Dorothy McRae-McMahon)
On the road we find our God walking alongside
as though knowing where we are going,
travelling with our questions and fears,
opening for us wisdom,
from one who knows the journey,
who has never really left the road of life
for the greener fields of heaven.

In our minds we find our God,
lifting the veil from the mysteries,
calling us away from easy fantasies,
joining us on our way,
measured step by honest step,
looking reality in the face,
in the counting of the cost of risen life.

In our hearts we find our God,
responding to our need
for company which stays towards the night,
sharing our table
and taking the things we know
in hands which break and bless
and give all that we need
for the lifting of our lives in hope.  Amen

** Although not physically at our church buildings to share our offering together I would encourage you to set you offering of money and food aside so that it can be mailed, dropped off or placed in the church once services resume** Please remember ministry is still taking place


Offering Hymn


Prayer over the gifts
Creator of all, you wash away our sins in water, you give us new birth by the Spirit, and redeem us in the blood of Christ. As we celebrate the resurrection, renew your gift of life within us. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the risen Lord. Amen

Prayers of Intercession
Lord of the Emmaus Road, we thank you for this good news, in the journey today you listen to the disappointment, grief and fear of the disciples, your journey is one of listening. Remind us to quietly listen to the stories of others, to really hear what they need to share with us, to listen to what is not being said. Walk with us, listen to our story and let us hear yours from the empty tomb. The Lord is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia

Lord of our hope, be present with us when we are filled with despondency when our plans and our hopes fall apart around us. Remind our weary souls of your presence. Walk with us, listen to our story and let us hear yours from the empty tomb. The Lord is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia

Lord of our journeys, help us to listen to the stories that you have opened to us in the scripture so that we are inspired anew by the vitality and truth that we find in the scriptures. Walk with us, listen to our story and let us hear yours from the empty tomb. The Lord is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia

Lord of open doors, you accepted the hospitality of all who offered. You ate and drank with sinners and outcasts. You found a warm welcome among strangers who urged you to stay longer. Help us to live your example by welcoming the stranger into our midst for it is when we welcome others we find we have entertained angels unawares. Walk with us, listen to our story and let us hear yours from the empty tomb. The Lord is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia

Lord of grief, you walked with the disciples on the road letting them pour out their anguish over your death, help us to know that you still walk this journey, still listen to those who are grieving and offer hope and comfort in the things that are familiar and through the shared memories.  Help all those who mourn on this hard, lonely road know that they never travel alone because you are with them.   The Lord is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia

In the broken bread and the blessed wine, the companions on the journey to Emmaus recognized you. Let our eyes be opened to see you and be aware of you in the familiar events around us and through us showing your presence to others in the world. Walk with us, listen to our story and let us hear yours from the empty tomb. The Lord is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia
(by K. Laldin)

Together we pray as Jesus taught us: Our Father ….

Collect of the Day
O God, your Son made himself known to his disciples in the breaking of bread. Open the eyes of our faith, that we may see him in his redeeming work, who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen

Hymn 

Dismissal and Blessing
We leave this time of prayer in the company of God.  May we always know God's presence, may we always trust God's grace and mercy and may we always find the risen Christ in the meal that we share.
Thanks be to God! Alleluia!!




2 comments: