Wednesday 23 March 2022

Newcastle on Tyne-- after a long time!



It has been a couple of years for a travel post, thanks to the pandemic.  But finally travel is back on as a possiblity, long quarantine is no longer a must and here we are back on the road and exploring new places and sites.

Newcastle hit the list of places to go because my DH wanted to visit Hadrian's Wall which runs along the country side here in the north of England.  It is celebrating 1900 years this year and an employee at the museum today was very informative.  He was in fact  a ranger on the wall years ago and had lots of information to impart to us. 

The first room at the museum is dedicated to the living planet

Artifacts from the wall

These tablets praise the gods and mention the power of the local gods which the Romans were not adverse to incorporating in their worship


My DH and I helped a little in rebuilding the wall.  Even got our initials etched in stone

Scallop anyone?  Part of the fossil collection in with the dinosaurs.


This was an impressive reconstruction


Besides the museum, though we walked around Newcastle and took in a multitude of sites.  We started at the market then,  roamed the streets on a steady decline until we reached Quayside where we walked along until we crossed the Gateshead Millennium Bridge then turned around went back up hill!

Millennium Bridge


View from the center of the Bridge


Five stories up at the contemporary art gallery for the view of Newcastle.  They advertise that they have the best view of the city!

We found interesting sculptures in various places in the city.  A fabulous monument to mark World War I.  


It was such a beautiful day that we resisted spending much time inside and instead just explored the city.   

God of Tyne sculpture on the side of the building


I was tempted to take this fellow by the hand!!!


When we passed one church I told my DH that I thought I would go in to see if they were hiring!  I have no idea what the denomination was but the church was (from the outside) quaint.  Never fear, I refrained from the temptation.  But I left cool temperatures and piles of snow and here the primroses and daffodils are in bloom.  

The people here are just lovely and helpful with two wanderers, at least one of which has no trouble asking questions and for directions.  At the train station, we went to get our local tickets that could not be printed before we left Canada.  We had several questions for the server.  Patiently she answered them all.  Then I had to return with another question.  They had a great laugh and told me I was only allowed to ask two!  I replied, then it was a good thing the other questions were from my DH.  Needless to say there was much laughter.  But lo and behold I had to go back again --this time to acquire train tickets and when I went in the door they laughed and said back again.  I said of course I had one question left.  What we discovered!  The cab ride was cheaper than taking the train!!!

After a cool beer and a delicious dinner it is time to get to the part you are waiting for the blog and the pictures.  Enjoy the offerings of day one of our new adventure.



I thought I would pick this fellow up after being at the museum today and Arruntius Paulinus, a Roman from the wall is quoted as saying "If you intend to take the road north, travel in company.  I should know. I command that section of the northern frontier, all the way to the Habitancensis.  I'm based at Coria and any pretence of civilization ends there...."
Although to be truthful, it is all very civilized, I can't imagine what that commander was referring to!!




No comments:

Post a Comment