Friday, 21 August 2026

Glasgow -- City of Murals

 


My blog aptly named paths to explore sees me on yet another journey, this one is solo with my DH left at home.  Glasgow, Scotland was my first stop and as I write I am sitting on a train heading to Oban.  Final stop will be Iona for a week!  So my Sabbatical journey continues seeking and exploring Time and Space.  More like rest and refreshment at this stage!


But Glasgow.  My stay was brief merely an early arrival and an overnight.  My travel agent planned my location and my hotel was right next door to the train station that I needed this morning so no getting lost for that one.  


Exploring the city, at least a very tiny part of it had me wandering the streets with map in hand.  Despite the map, as most of my readers know by now, I can still manage to go a bit off track as I explore!  It was no different in Glasgow.  The hotel offered a hop on hop off map.  I skipped the bus and followed the route...a bit.  Since it was late in the day when I started wandering, after my red eye flight from Canada and I had an early check in and nap, I did not get to many locations that the map marked.  But I did manage a few of the murals and the Cathedral.


The cab driver had warned that Glasgow has changed, crime is up, social concerns have risen and drugs are an issue.  So as my DH reminds me frequently I am not in rural Newfoundland now where you don't worry about safety, robbery or mugging!  But I still wander.

The few murals that I did manage to find on my own (there is a tour offered) were magnificent.  The one at the top of the blog I nearly missed as I walked right alongside of it.  A simple glance and it caught my eye which meant I needed to cross the street to snap the photo.   It cites Article 31 of the United Nations and boldly proclaimed The Future is Ours.  It was near the University so aptly placed and just after I saw the sign....ready for it- Destiny Bible College.  I laughed when I saw the name and I did not explore it further!

There were other murals as I made my way to the Cathedral beautiful and unexplained such as this one.



And more self explanatory when you see one like this


Beautiful art work displayed freely for pure enjoyment.  Sadly I only found the three in my wanderings.

The city as is true for most that I have been fortunate to visit has beautiful worn stone where so many others have gone before as well as beautiful architecture to admire.  

The old Cathedral, as only those structures can be was breathtaking and I was fortunate to make the final viewing of the day.





It was quiet and prayerful both inside and out.  No services were offered, I checked,  outside of regular Sunday worship.  

After visiting here I meandered back to the city centre where I was staying, found a lovely spot for dinner--The Citizen with an attentive server, had dinner with my DH via WhatsApp and called it an evening.  Now onward to Oban and enjoying my train ride and the scenery.











No comments:

Post a Comment