Saturday 18 November 2017

These boots are made for walkin


As I stuck out on my own to sight see again today I thought of  my mother, when I spoke to her last night she was shocked that I am wandering around strange cities on my own.  Well today she would have been truly horrified I went off to the train station and took the train to a nearby town while my DH tried to recover a bit from the jet lag he is experiencing.

What a wonderful day it was.  The train ride, advertised as 20 minutes, was about 10 minutes and then the walking began.  There were lots and lots of hills today so it was down one and up another.  I had a goal in mind and the picturesque village of Stonehaven was merely a happy by product.  I found out about an old castle and I was determined to get to the location.  I had not bargained for the cow path type hike around the shoreline, up and down valleys and occasionally so close to the edge of the cliff that I had to remind myself “don’t look down .... don’t look down”. But of course I did because the scenery was too beautiful to miss. I can safely tell you good sturdy boots were essential.




The ruins on the distance

Along the way there was a beautiful War memorial commemorating both world wars.  It sits high in the skyline and can be seen for miles. It mimics a  ruined Greek temple to symbolize the many shortened and ruined lives caused by the conflict.  As well as this monument there were lots of fields that had to be navigated around.  The path today was busy and well travelled.



The ruins of the old castle were breath taking and not only because you had to descend about two hundred steps, keeping the thought in mind that you have to go back up!  The journey was completely worthwhile with gorgeous views, beautifully built strategic fort  of Dunnottar Castle to defend the community.  It was like taking a walk back in time and certainly gave cause to pause on the people who long ago lived and worked here.




A glimpse of the stairs.  Only to discover the ruins were closed for the day!





Glimpses of Stonehaven


Once I finished exploring and roaming on the harbour of Stonehaven I made my way back to the railway station just in time for the train and headed back to Aberdeen, collected my DH and headed out once again to enjoy the evening meal together.  the night was capped off with a little taste testing of the local grog. My DH was surprised at how different our tastes ran for the scotch... the smokier the better is not what he adheres to!  Pity I missed the picture of his face when he tasted my favourite selection!

These old legs were feeling every bit their age tonight by the time I was finished. My trusty old Fitbit says it was just over 26,000 steps, 17 kilometres and 90 floors.  So in just three days that would be more than 40 kilometres that I have walked... no wonder my legs are complaining!




1 comment:

  1. Thankyou! It was an adventure travelling with you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete