Wednesday 17 March 2021

Lent 5 -- March 21 -- Wake Now My Senses

                                                                                               Blauvac, France

 Wake Now My Senses

Acknowledgement

For thousands of years Indigenous people have walked in this land, on their own country. Their relationship with the land is at the centre of their lives.

We acknowledge the Indigenous People of Canada and their stewardship of this land and its water throughout the ages.

Welcome

Welcome to this time of worship here at St. Paul, we hope you enjoy your time with us this morning
As we enter into this sacred time together

We come from our own places to this special sacred place.
This is a place where we know we can share community and be blessed.
Let us celebrate the richness and diversity of life. 

Gathering Song     FORTY DAYS

Forty days, Lord you spent in the wilderness,
bed in the sand and sky for a cover,
The forty days we will keep them with willingness,
fasting and prayer will proclaim that we care
for the world’s tremendous lover.

In forty days we’ll have entered Jerusalem,
smiled at the palms and knelt at the vision
of your great Cross
but the pain of our losing you dies as the word
gathers strength ad is heard,
saying “Jesus Christ is risen”.

For forty days we’ll get ready for Eastertide,
share in your death and rise, as the story becomes a song
share in your death and rise, as the story becomes a song
of which love can never die
love we must share with a world unaware
that the world may know your glory.

Gathering (based loosely on the hymn Wake now My Senses)

As a new day dawns and we breathe in the fresh and the new we call upon God to fully awaken our senses
Feel the deep power of the web of creation, giving and receiving as God’s love shows us

Draw upon wisdom, reach out in new ways to those who are pilgrims on this journey with us seeking truth
As we journey, we honour the beauty of creation and the wisdom of history and elders

Awaken our compassion as we hear the cries of suffering all around
Help us to recognize strangers and friends who are in need of our help and our voice to bring an end to the hardships that so many endure

Awaken our conscience so that justice becomes our guide, God’s love is for all of creation
Let us raise our voices for those whose rights are denied and no longer take for granted the privilege that we enjoy

We pray that our coming and our going be blessed, this day and forever more. May it be so. Amen

In the safety of this sacred place, I invite you now into a time of silence
(Silence)

May this time together renew our hope, refresh our courage, lift our spirits, restore us in faith.

Lenten Candle Liturgy  (Two purple candles and Christ candle are lit prior to worship)

On this fifth Sunday in Lent, we move ever closer to Good Friday and Jesus suffering and death.

Yet in the midst of the darkness of Lent, we hear both Jeremiah and Jesus speak words of hope about walking in God’s way.

Jeremiah speaks of a new relationship, a covenant written on people’s hearts. Jesus reminds us that ‘only if a grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies will it bring forth fruit.’ As we put out the fifth candle, let us consider what in our lives needs to die in order that fresh growth and a renewed spirit might be born in us. (Fifth candle is extinguished.)

Together we pray 

O God, you have given us the challenge of following your way of justice. Help us to be brave when following your way makes others angry with us. Help us to know your will, and give us the strength to do it. Amen.

Proclamation of the Word

A Reading from the prophet, Jeremiah 31:31-34 

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt—a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say to each other, ‘Know the Lord’, for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.
Hear what the Spirit is saying to the church              R: Thanks be to God

 Psalm 51:1-12    Create In Me a Clean Heart
Create in me a clean heart, O God
And renew a right spirit within me
Cast me not away from your presence,
And take not your Holy Spirit from me
Restore to me, the joy of your salvation
And uphold me with your free spirit

Create in me a clean heart, O God
And renew a right spirit within me
Cast me not away from your presence
And take not your holy spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and uphold me with your free spirit Amen
(Thomas Keesecker)

 A Reading from the letter to the Hebrews 5:5-10

So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by the one who said to him, ‘You are my Son, today I have begotten you; as he says also in another place, ‘You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek.’

In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him, having been designated by God a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the church          R: Thanks be to God

Gradual Hymn  A Grain of Wheat    (from the TuneIn Songbook)

He left his home, fam’ly, friends, a livelihood undone
He listened to a call within and took a path that none
Had taken before him
He said life was different to what we had known
He took the message of God’s love and he really brought it home

Chorus
Unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground
Unless a grain of wheat dies to the world around
Its shell will not be broken or its heart reach for the sun
Roots won’t grow deep into the earth
The seed will never become
All that it is (Hmm)
All that it is, All that it is (Hmm)
All that it is


He spoke as if God’s loving touch was right within his heart
His hands reached out to heal with love and this was just the start
Of a new world revival
He said we’d do greater that what he had done
He let the Spirit’s power unfold and he grew into God’s son

Chorus
Unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground
Unless a grain of wheat dies to the world around
Its shell will not be broken or its heart reach for the sun
Roots won’t grow deep into the earth
The seed will never become
All that it is (Hmm)
All that it is,  All that it is (Hmm)
All that it is


He scared us with a love so bold we nailed him to a tree
And as he let his body break it was clear to see
God flowing through him
He said this could happen for all who believed
A life empowered by truth and love is waiting as a seed

Chorus
Unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground
Unless a grain of wheat dies to the world around
Its shell will not be broken or its heart reach for the sun
Roots won’t grow deep into the earth
The seed ‘will never become
All that it is (Hmm)
All that it is, All that it is (Hmm)
All that it is


The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to St. John 12:20-23 
Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ

Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, ‘Sir, we wish to see Jesus.’ Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. Jesus answered them, ‘The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honour.

‘Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say—“Father, save me from this hour”? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.’ Then a voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.’ The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, ‘An angel has spoken to him.’ Jesus answered, ‘This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. Now is the judgement of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.’ He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die.

The Gospel of Christ                      R: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ

The Homily

Affirmation of Faith

I believe in God the Creator,
who made me and all things,
who set me on my path in this world.

I believe in God the Savior,
who is one with the Creator,
who rescued me and all creation
from the depredations of our violations
against God and creation.
This man, Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ,
walked a path through this world,
taking on human form having been born of a woman
through the power of the Holy Spirit.
He lived and worked in this world among people just like me.
He walked God’s path to death on a cross,
and rose from the dead to open our pathway to eternal life.

I believe in God the Holy Spirit, my counsellor and guide,
who is one with the Creator and the Christ,
who through the body and blood of Jesus
brings me into communion with all people, past, present and future;
who calls me to walk a sacred way of life through this world,
caring for creation and the people I meet on the way,
loving them, helping them, welcoming them without prejudice,
being God’s hands and feet in the world.
— written by Lisa Frenz, and posted on Lisa’s Liturgies.
https://sites.google.com/site/lisasliturgies/home “Copyright Lisa Frenz. All Rights Reserved. Used with permission."

Offering Hymn   Because You Came (MV  64 vs 1-4)

Because you came and sat beside us
Because you came and heard us speak
And we ignored you and we refused you
We ask forgiveness Lord Jesus Christ

Because you laughed and loved the childlike
Because you lived from day to day
And we love status and steady money
We ask forgiveness Lord Jesus Christ

Because our peace was your agenda
Because you wept to see us war
And we love power and winning battles
We ask forgiveness Lord Jesus Christ

Because your cross compels and answer
Because love absorbs our sin
And we are wounded because we wound you
We ask forgiveness Lord Jesus Christ

Prayer over the Gifts
Eternal God, your only Son suffered death upon the cross to bring the world salvation. Accept the praise and thanksgiving we offer you this day, in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord.  Amen

The Prayers of Intercession (https://www.faithandworship.com/Lent_intercessions)

Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. (Psalm 95:6,7)

Good Shepherd, within your embrace we are safe and secure. Within your embrace, we know that we are precious in your sight. Within your embrace, we feel the warmth of family and belonging. Within your embrace, we grow and are nurtured together as one flock, the people of your pasture under your loving care and protection. Come, let us bow down
Before the LORD our Maker

Good Shepherd, within your embrace we find comfort and healing. We bring to you those who are weak or struggling with physical, mental or spiritual health. You are the great healer, and we pray for the healing of mind and body for those we now name in the silence of our hearts. Come, let us bow down
Before the LORD our Maker

Good Shepherd, within your embrace we find justice. We bring to you the brave voices who cry out for freedom, those prepared to stand up and be heard without counting the cost. We pray for those who have been imprisoned or tortured for their race, colour, caste or faith. For all Christians who have taken up the Cross and know its weight and pain. Come, let us bow down
Before the LORD our Maker

Good Shepherd, within your embrace we find peace. We bring to you those orphaned, crippled or dispossessed by war, for refugees wandering this earth in search of a home, for all victims of strife and warfare, and for all those who have dedicated their lives for the search for peace and reconciliation.
Come, let us bow down
Before the LORD our Maker

Give thanks to the LORD, for the Lord is good; God’s love endures forever. (Psalm 118:1)

The Lord’s Prayer

The Collect

Most merciful God, by the death and resurrection of your Son Jesus Christ, you created humanity anew. May the power of his victorious cross transform those who turn in faith to him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.  Amen

The Blessing

Closing Hymn    I Want Jesus To Walk With Me

I want Jesus to walk with me
I want Jesus to walk with me
All along my pilgrim journey
I want Jesus to walk with me

In my trials, Lord, walk with me
In my trials, Lord, walk with me
When my heart is almost breaking
Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me

When I’m in trouble, Lord walk with me
When I’m in trouble, Lord walk with me
When my head is bowed in sorrow,
Lord, I want Jesus t walk with me

Words of Mission for the sending out (https://www.rexaehuntprogressive.com/liturgy_collection)
The God we worship is never confined to this holy place. So go and travel with the God found in ordinary and surprising places.

You are wayfarers, following roads to the end of the earth, pilgrims on your way to the end of the age.
We are travellers on the road to freedom, a community of grace, with good news for all we meet.

Travel lightly, travel together, learn as you go: you are disciples, the mission is urgent, the journey is long.
We will take heart. When the way is uncertain, shadows are sinister and dangers threaten, we will not be afraid. For we are in God and God is in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment