Tuesday 22 December 2015

Falling Behind

An apt title for this post as I noticed my writing has been a little lax for the last few months.  So as I sit here  in my Christmas apron, listening to Christmas music I figured that it is time to write before Christmas Eve and day hit! A friend asked me on Saturday when my marathon of services would begin,  I replied that it would be the very next day when I had 3 services and so it would be for Christmas Eve as well.


However in the midst of what may well appear to be a marathon, this past Sunday  I traveled to St. Matthew's (my third congregation) where we concluded the services for 2015 with what has become a tradition in the congregation, the Service of Carols and Lessons.  It is undoubtedly one of my favourite places to have this service.  A tiny church (it holds about 50 people) situated on a prairie field in the country. Heated with a wood stove.  Candles burning. And then the service starts with the old familiar carols and the beautiful retelling of the Christmas story by a variety of parishioners and visitors. The crackling fire, candles glowing and everything pure and white with the snow  some how makes the service even more special.  It somehow sets the tone of the season that we are about to enter into.

While I felt like I had fallen behind because I had not done all of my usual preparations and baking I realized with this service at St. Matthew that I am right where I need to be at this time.  Not bogged down with all that has not been accomplished but remembering what is important in this season and that is being ready for the welcome of the Christ into our midst again.  My question became, not what do I have left to get done but, am I ready?  Did I use the four weeks of advent to prepare myself for what it is we are celebrating this season?  Hope, Peace, Joy, Love were the themes to help us prepare ourselves for the coming of the Messiah.  It is easy to fall behind in the daily tasks that we set for ourselves the important thing is that we have spent the time wisely on the things that are important and that our time has been well spent getting ready and preparing in the most important way ... preparing ourselves to receive the most important gift the gift of God's Love.  Have a wonderful Christmas season.


Once upon a Christmas far away in Bethlehem
Mary being great with child had no place to lie down
So Joseph found a stable in which Mary had her child
Once upon a Christmas was the birth of Jesus Christ

Once upon a Christmas in a manger far away
A King was born His palace was a manger filled with hay
His royal robe was swaddling cloth a halo was His crown
Once upon a Christmas away in Bethlehem
And all the world rejoiced because the King was born at last
A savior had been promised now it had come to pass
And the joyful news that He was born spread quickly far and wide
Once upon a Christmas was the birth of Jesus Christ

Once upon a Christmas from the Far East wise men came
With gold and myrrh and frankincense to praise the newborn King
And shepherds left their flocks and came to see and worship Him
Once upon a Christmas away in Bethlehem
And all the world rejoiced because the King was born at last
A savior had been promised now it had come to pass
And the joyful news that He was born spread quickly far and wide
Once upon a Christmas was the birth of Jesus Christ

Once upon a Christmas far away in Bethlehem


 Dolly Parton - Once Upon A Christmas Lyrics | MetroLyrics 


No comments:

Post a Comment