Saturday 29 August 2020

Pentecost 13 -- August 30--No distance is too great

 



May the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ enlighten the eyes of our hearts, that we may know what is the hope to which he has called us. (See Ephesians 1.17, 18) 

Watch the Service Here

Welcome

Many are the Lightbeams

Many are the lightbeams from the one light.
Our one light is Jesus.
Many are the lightbeams from the one light;
we are one in Christ.

Many are the branches of the one tree.
Our one tree is Jesus.
Many are the branches of the one tree;
we are one in Christ.

Many are the gifts giv’n, love is all one.
Love’s the gift of Jesus.
Many are the gifts giv’n, love is all one;
we are one in Christ.

Many ways to serve God, the Spirit is one,
Servant spirit of Jesus.
Many ways to serve God, the Spirit is one,
we are one in Christ.

Many are the members, the body is one,
Members all of Jesus.
Many are the members, the body is one,
we are one in Christ.

Gathering
Let us open our hearts to the sunshine of God’s love
Let us open our souls to the gentle wind of God’s Spirit
We have gathered to hear the good news of Jesus Christ
A word that renews us again and again

Loving God, we thank you for your child who chose the path of suffering for the sake of the world. Humble us by his example, point us to the path of obedience and give us strength to follow your commands, through Jesus Christ our Saviour and Lord. Amen

As the scriptures are read, we allow God’s word to speak to us, and ponder its meaning in our lives.
Let us hear the words of scripture:


A Reading from the Book, Exodus (3:1-15)  Read by Denise McRae
Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I must turn aside and look at this great sight, and see why the bush is not burned up.” When the Lord saw that he had turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” Then he said, “Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” He said further, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

Then the Lord said, “I have observed the misery of my people who are in Egypt; I have heard their cry on account of their taskmasters. Indeed, I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them from the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the country of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. The cry of the Israelites has now come to me; I have also seen how the Egyptians oppress them. So come, I will send you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt.”

But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” He said, “I will be with you; and this shall be the sign for you that it is I who sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall worship God on this mountain.” But Moses said to God, “If I come to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” He said further, “Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’“ God also said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you’: This is my name forever, and this my title for all generations.

Hear what the spirit is saying to the church          R: Thanks be to God


Psalm 105 (1-6, 23-26, 45c)  Read by Karen Watson
O give thanks to the Lord, call on his name, make known his deeds among the peoples.
Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wonderful works.
Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually.
Remember the wonderful works he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered,
O offspring of his servant Abraham, children of Jacob, his chosen ones.
Then Israel came to Egypt; Jacob lived as an alien in the land of Ham.
And the Lord made his people very fruitful, and made them stronger than their foes,
whose hearts he then turned to hate his people, to deal craftily with his servants.
He sent his servant Moses, and Aaron whom he had chosen.
Praise the Lord!

A Reading from the letter of Paul to the Romans (12:9-21)  Read by Joel Odegun

Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” No, “if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Hear what the spirit is saying to the church              R: Thanks be to God 


179 Tree of Life and Awesome Mystery

Tree of Life and awesome mystery, in your death we are reborn;
Though you die in all of history, still you rise with every morn,
Still you rise with every morn.

Seed that dies to rise in glory, may we see ourselves in you;
If we learn to live your story we may die to rise anew,
We many die to rise anew.

We remember truth once spoken, love passed on through act and word;
Every person lost and broken wears the body of our Lord,
Wears the body of our Lord.

Gentle Jesus, mighty Spirit, come in flame our hearts anew.
We many all your joy inherit if we bear the cross with you,
If we bear the cross with you.

Christ, you lead and we shall follow, stumbling though our steps may be
One with you in joy and sorrow, we the river, you the sea, 
We the river, you the sea.

A Reading from the Gospel of Matthew (16:21-28)  Read by Chris Trott

From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and undergo great suffering at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you.” But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life? “For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done. Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Hear what the spirit is saying to the church                  R: Thanks be to God


Homily 

Here I Am Lord 

I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save.
I who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Chorus         Here I am, Lord.
                     Is it I, Lord?
                     I have heard You calling in the night.
                     I will go, Lord,
                     If You lead me.
                     I will hold Your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people’s pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my word to them.
Whom shall I send?                         Chorus
I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.
Finest bread I will provide
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them
Whom shall I send?                         Chorus


Prayer over the gifts and blessing of the School Supplies


Today, we have before us school supplies to be carried to and from school by the children and youth.

These school supplies will contain work to be done, work that's been returned, books to be studied, tools to complete homework. Notebooks, pencils, pens, protractors, compasses, crayons, rules, scissors, glue sticks and other items used for school work will find their way in and out of the hands of the young people.

Some days, the student may carry so many supplies that they find it difficult to walk. Other days, their load will be lighter and their backpacks nearly empty. But on each and every day, these supplies represent work required of the students. And, as in every aspect of our life, we bring these before God for blessing at this time.

Let us pray together:
Gracious God, we lift to you today, all students.
Where ever they are gathered today give them your blessing as they commit themselves to study and learn in the school year ahead. We ask your blessing on each of them.
Further, we ask your blessing on these school supplies. They will hold the school work of each student and will be carried from home to school and back again. As these students use these supplies, may they be reminded of the love and care of this congregation that surrounds them each school day.
We pray as well for the teachers and administrators in our schools. May they also be sustained by your blessing. May they be reminded that this congregation embraces their call to teaching and learning and surrounds them with love and care as well.
We pray in the name of Jesus who we seek to follow day by day. Amen.

Affirmation of Faith


Let us affirm the life among us

We affirm that we see and experience
This life in our midst.
it invites other life in us,
It gives life to people beyond us

We affirm that here in this place
Life can be sustained,
That in us new life can emerge and grow
And that hope for life is to be cherished everyday.

We celebrate the God who conquered death.
We hold ourselves open to a new creation in us.
We believe that in every child of God
The spirit breathes a thousand, thousand gracious possibilities. Amen
(Celebrations along the Way –Dorothy McRae-McMahon)

435 Take My Life, and Let it Be

Take my life, and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move
at the impulse of thy love;
Take my feet, and let them be
swift and purposeful for thee.

Take my lips and let them be
filled with messages from thee;
Take my intellect, and use
every power as thou shalt choose.

Take my will, and make it thine;
It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is thine own;
It shall be thy royal throne.

Take my love: my Lord, I pour
at thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself, and I will be 
ever, only, all for thee.

Prayers of the People  Led by  Mark Moote

Collect of the Day
Author and Giver of all good things, graft in our hearts the love of your name, increase in us true religion, nourish us in all goodness, and of your great mercy keep us in the same; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.  Amen

Lord’s Prayer

Blessing

Dismissal

As we go out into the world May the Christ be revealed in wonderful ways,
may our eyes be opened to see this blessing and our faith be lifted up in joy. Thanks be to God. Alleluia

Jesus Saw Them Fishing

Jesus saw them fishing by the shore of Galilee,
Casting out their nets into the sea.
Simon Peter, Andrew and the sons of Zebedee,
Waiting in their boats
So patiently.

Chorus        And Jesus said,
                   “Oh, come and follow me.
                    Oh, leave behind your nets. I call you.
                    Oh, come and fish with me,
                    And your life will never be the same again.”


A rich young person came to Jesus looking for advice.
“How can I  obtain eternal life?”
Jesus told him, “Honour the commandments of the Lord.
Then sell off all your riches
For the poor.”                                     Chorus

“If you want to follow me, deny your very self.
Take up your cross and walk the walk with me.
This might seem a hardship, an impossibility,
But nothing is impossible
With God.”                                         Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment