Where it's wave over wave sea over bow
There's no other life for a sailor like me
Than to sail the salt sea boys, to sail the sea
There's no other life but to sail the salt sea
(1983, Jim Payne, Great Big Sea)
Today some of us headed off the Isle of Iona to the Isle of Staffa. We met at the jetty on Iona and were ready to board when the captain explained that the wind was up and because of our northerly direction it mean we'd be taking the waves to the side ... aka We were going to roll! And if you know anything about motion sickness you do not want the boat to roll you want it to punch into the waves. Needless to say several decided that they would not be going on the journey and headed back to the Abbey. Despite these many years in Winnipeg my confidence in my sea legs did not diminish and I headed aboard.
It was a fabulous day on the water and despite the captain's warning it really was not too bad. Did we roll, well of course after all he had not warned people needlessly. A little spray, a beautiful sunny day and by Newfoundland standards a little breeze. I've been on ships in far worse conditions!
After a quick stop on the Isle of Mull for a few more tourists we were off. Our first site was this character sunning on the rocks.
People were admiring this seal and I said gosh he has a beautiful coat. Those pelts make gorgeous jackets....perhaps I shouldn't have said it, I got funny looks but I know for Newfoundland Fisher folk seals are not particularly welcome with their voracious appetites. And the seal really did have a gorgeous coat!
Before we knew it we were coming upon Staffa. Staffa is a protected Island. It has caves and interesting rock formations. There were three points that we could hit here and only one hour to do it. I managed two. The caves and the highest point.
The island boasts three caves. And local lore has it that Abbott John MacKinnon came here to escape the busy life on Iona...keep in mind the Isle of Iona is 3 miles and has approximately 200 people present day. It is not a large bustling, commercial place. I thought this was hilarious.
This one was referred to as the boat cave
And this largest cave is called Fingal's Cave after the Irish giant. It travels back some two hundred feet. The Rocks are volcanic, cooled slowly to make the lines that are easily visible. The natural formations are unbelievable. It looks like someone stacked them in perfect formation.
In approximately 1829 Mendelssohn came to Staffa and was inspired by the noise in the back of the cave and from it created his concert overture The Hebrides, also widely known as Fingal's Cave.
Walking along these rocks with a cable rail to hold and water below was perhaps not the best time to discover that you seem to have developed some sort of aversion to looking down! Apparently I no longer like playing amongst the rocks along the seashore.
However, I continued along...slowly and made it to the cave. It really is magnificent but I was not about to have to step around someone on the narrow path so I carefully navigated back to a wider ledge.
You can see how perfectly the rocks align. So much so they seem like bricks well placed.
Next I had to go up, up, and up some more. I did count the steps but promptly forgot how many there were when I hit the landing and realized I was no where near the top. So onward and upward I went. The views from the top were beautiful
Apparently I am approximately 2300 miles from Newfoundland, as I said to the captain, it would be a long swim!
As you can see the rock formations, piles of rocks and the lush greenery made for beautiful views and I gave thanks for making it to the highest point.
There were some familiar looking flowers to enjoy
In 1986 Jock Elliott, the former chairman of the advertising agency Ogilvy & Mather, bought the island. He purchased Staffa as a surprise 60th birthday present for his wife, Elly. Just two days later, the couple gave the island away apparently it was not as appreciated as he thought it might be!! They donated it to the National Reserve.
Ragged Daisies
A type of buttercup
Unfortunately the hour was nearly up and I did not make it to the farthest point but I managed to snap a few more photos of the island and it's unique shoreline for you to enjoy.
Trail to the furthest point
Staffa "beach" area
Staffa Shoreline
Staffa Shoreline
Our return trip was smoother as the wind dropped down. Dolphins entertained us for a short time and before we knew it we were coming back through Iona Sound and landing right where we started out some hours before.




















No comments:
Post a Comment